Labels

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The Gravestones of Price and Annie Davies

My first cousin once removed recently made a trip to Wales and upon request he stopped by the graveyard of Price and Annie Davies to take a picture for me. These are one set of my great grandparents. I had previously tried to find them through find a grave but had no luck. He said next time he made the trip he would happily accomodate my request.



Since he knows Welsh he also kindly translated the inscriptions. The original inscription reads:


"Er Serchus Cof Am
Annie Davies
Annwyl Briod
Price Davies, Cynt o Dowlais Top
Bu Farw 6 Chwefror 1961
Yn 78 Mlwydd Oed
Hefyd Am y Dywededig
Price Davies
Bu Farw 15 Mai 1966
Yn 84 Mlwydd Oed
"Byth Ar Swn Y Delyn Aur."
He informed me that the literal translation is:


"In Loving Memory Of
Annie Davies
Beloved Spouse of
Price Davies, Formerly of Dowlais Top
Died 6 February 1961
At 78 Years Old
Also of the Aforesaid
Price Davies
Died 15 May 1966
At 84 Years Old.

"Ever to the Sound of the Golden Harp."

This relative, Roy, always sends me helpful links to explain references as well. He let me know that "the last line is from a Welsh hymn "Y Delyn Aur" (the Golden Harp) by Ann Griffiths. Her name was almost the same as Annie's before her marriage - Annie Griffiths."
I will share the hymn and some history behind it in another post. I can now add these to the gravestones I have for one set of my great grandparents on my mothers side. I blogged about them here.

2 comments:

  1. That's great that your cousin visited the cemetery and snapped photos of the marker for you.

    It looks like someone is still remembering them with flowers. Any idea who that might be? Family you're still in touch with? Is the grave covered with a stone slab that's broken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a family member looking after it. My cousin knows them but I do not. Part of the stone slab had apparently cracked in the last couple of years.

      Delete